Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Principles of War: Self Analysis – Surprise

I’m analyzing my martial arts skills, capabilities, and style through the lens of the Principles of War as defined in U.S. Army Field Manual FM 3-0. My commentaries on the definitions are available through the links below.

Mass
Objective
Offensive
Surprise
Economy of Force
Maneuver
Unity of Command
Security
Simplicity

For Mass my grade was a "C"; for Objective a "B"; and for Offensive a "B". In this post I’ll grade myself on the Principle of War: Surprise.

“Strike the enemy at a time or place or in a manner for which he is unprepared.”

This Principle of War has only one key element. The key element can be restated as; Launch an attack the opponent is unprepared to defend.

The manner of achieving the surprise attack is left wide open.

In a self defense situation creating surprise with an ambush or a sucker punch are not options. The opponent has picked you – there's no opportunity for strategic surprise. There are, however, many ways to create tactical surprise.

The simplest is an all out direct assault. Your opponent plans to attack you, or is in the act of attacking you and will probably be surprised to find himself on defense.

Other means to achieve tactical surprise include feints, combination attacks, and deceptions.

My inclination to use countering techniques almost guarantees tactical surprise. The opponent’s attack is in progress and I (as with with most of my Judo brethren) fit my body to the opponent’s, direct and encourage his motion, and throw him approximately in the direction he was already moving. Surprise is complete. It remains to follow up aggressively and ensure his decisive defeat.

For the Principle of War: Surprise my personal martial arts style gets an “A”.

In the next post I’ll grade myself on the Principle of War: Economy of Force.

Link to the Martial Arts Training Report: The Principles of War

No comments:

Post a Comment