Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Karate-Do: My Way of Life – Gratitude

In his autobiography, “Karate-Do: My Way of Life”, Gichin Funakoshi exhibits two endearing qualities – gratitude and humility - universally recognized virtues that are especially connected to the martial arts. His spirit of gratitude is expressed throughout his book.

Gichin Funakoshi had two primary teachers on Okinawa, Master Itosu and Master Azato; of them he wrote,

“I have always been conscious of the compliment paid me by these two masters. In return I performed a rite … I burned incense at the Buddhist alter of each instructor and pledged myself never to make use of my trained body for any illicit purpose.”

“Now that I look back I realize that I and my children, the two generations of us, have all benefited enormously from the teachings of these two masters. Where shall I find words to express my gratitude?”

Master Funakoshi arguably surpassed his teachers in accomplishment, if not in karate skills. Yet, he seems very sincere in expressing his gratitude to his teachers.

In his early days of teaching karate in Tokyo, Master Funakoshi often just scraped by financially. Occasionally, he was reduced to using the services of a local pawn shop.

“I was ashamed even to show the two objects to the clerk in the pawn shop, for both were old and worn… After a few moments the clerk reappeared and handed me an astonishingly large sum of money.

“I was mystified until I learned later that the clerk’s younger brother was one of my karate students. Indeed, now that I think upon those years, I recall a number of kind benefactors … and to all of them I feel an abiding sense of gratitude.”

Eventually, Karate-Do became popular in Japan and his financial stress was relieved except during the general distress resulting from Japan’s defeat in World War II. But even after his fortunes were restored his gratitude never wavered.

“… the numbers of my former students run into the tens of thousands. So frequently I do not know what to call them, and am forced to fall back on that standard phrase, ‘How tall you have grown!

“But whether I remember them clearly or not, I am always happy to receive visits from my former students, and I am most grateful to them for helping to popularize Karate-Do.”

Gichin Funakoshi is an exemplary martial artist. And his example of gratitude is worthy of emulation.

Link to the Special Report: "Karate-Do: My Way of Life - What All Martial Artists Can Learn From Gichin Funakoshi"

No comments:

Post a Comment