Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Karate-Do: My Way of Life – Humility

Gichin Funakoshi’s spirit of humility comes through in his autobiography, “Karate-Do: My Way of Life”.

After receiving permission and encouragement from his two karate teachers in Okinawa, Master Funakoshi determined to bring Karate-Do to Tokyo. Of that immediate period he wrote:

“I moved into the Meisei Juku, a dormitory for students from Okinawa … where I was permitted to use the lecture hall … as my temporary dojo… However, money was a critical problem.

“To pay for the tiny room where I slept, I took on all sorts of odd jobs at the dormitory: watchman, caretaker, gardener, even room sweeper. … I had very few students, so of course the fees I was paid were not enough to make ends meet. … It was a difficult life, but when I think back about it after all these years, I realize it was also a good one.”

Gichin Funakoshi was on a mission to popularize Karate-Do in mainland Japan, starting in Tokyo. He was not too proud to pull weeds and sweep floors to pay his way while he started teaching karate in a borrowed room.

“… one day a newspaper reporter appeared at the dormitory. As he approached, I happened to be sweeping the garden path, and he obviously took me for a servant.

“’Where can I find Mr Funakoshi, the karate teacher?’ he inquired.

“’One moment, sir,’ I replied and scurried away. I … changed into my formal kimono, and then descended to the entranceway where the reporter was waiting. ‘How do you do?’ I said. ‘I’m Funakoshi.’ I shall never forget the expression of astonishment on the reporter’s face when he realized that the gardener and the karate teacher were one and the same!”

Even as his school gained recognition Funakoshi the man was humble but he honored his Karate-Do by meeting the reporter in his formal clothes.

“… I was called upon by one of the upper servants from the house of Baron Yasuo Matsudaira, … a family of importance, …

“ ‘I have come,’ said the servant, ‘to thank the elderly man in the dormitory who sweeps the ground in front of our gate every morning. My master sends this small token of gratitude.’ With that, he handed me a box of sweets.”

Funakoshi had no reason to sweep in front of the neighbor’s gate. He wasn’t being paid to sweep there and they had no idea who he was. But while he was sweeping he simply made a good job of it.

“One day, … a sharp-tongued little devil called me karasu-uri (snake gourd), and then the rest of the boys took up the chorus. …I could not understand why I was being likened to a snake gourd until that evening, when I looked in the mirror and burst out laughing as I saw the resemblance. Although I do not drink alcohol, my complexion is quite ruddy, and my skin is also extremely smooth, I could understand how in that little boy’s mind, I looked like a melon that becomes bright orange when ripe.

“So to my students I was the karate expert, but to the Matsudaira household I was just an elderly sweeper, while to the gang of children who played in the garden I was a snake gourd. I found all this greatly diverting…”

Karate-Do was Funakoshi’s life. His wife remained in Okinawa, the children called him names, and the neighbor’s thought he was just another manual laborer – though a good one. And Funakoshi found it diverting. As long as he had students to teach his beloved Karate-Do he was fulfilled.

“Even today I live in a rented house, and what is more I insist upon an upstairs room. …I believe climbing stairs is excellent training for leg muscles.

“… the moment I rise I roll up my quilt and tuck it away in the cupboard.

“Upon rising, I brush off any dust that may have settled upon the portrait of Emperor Meiji … or upon that of Takamori Saigo… This done I sweep my room, practice some kata, wash my hands and face, and then eat my simple breakfast.”

I will remember Gichin Funakoshi’s example of humility and his dedication to his purpose; though I don’t care to emulate his great humility, I do admire it.

Link to the Special Report: "Karate-Do: My Way of Life - What All Martial Artists Can Learn From Gichin Funakoshi"

No comments:

Post a Comment