Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Analyzing Myself As A Martial Artist Using the Principles of War

I’ve repeatedly asserted in these pages that the Principles of War can be used to analyze martial arts at the individual level; to optimize the skills and capabilities of the martial artist. And, I’ve provided some examples of how the Principles of War apply to the martial arts and to simple self defense.

Principles of War: How They Relate to the Martial Arts

Mass
Objective
Offensive
Surprise
Economy of Force
Maneuver
Unity of Command
Security
Simplicity

I propose now to do a little self-analysis. Not the “navel gazing” kind but an analysis – as objective as I can be when talking about myself – of my martial arts skills and capabilities. And, I propose to use the Principles of War as the framework.

I’ve been “ranked” as a black belt in three martial arts.

Neko Ryu Goshin Jitsu – Ni Dan (2nd Degree)
Kodokan Judo – Sho Dan (1st Degree)
Tang Soo Do – Sho Dan (1st Degree)

With this background plus some small amount of training in hand-to-hand combat, boxing, wrestling, and fencing at West Point; I’m free from the constraints of any single system. My analysis will be generic - analyzing effectiveness not conformance.

Some will note that I’ve mastered none of the systems and that is absolutely true. I didn’t choose this path – the path chose me.

Still, as a subject for analyzing martial arts skills and capabilities, my background works well. I know I have significant martial arts skills and capabilities. I also know there is much in my martial arts to criticize – much to improve.

So, in the next series of posts I’ll be somewhat self-absorbed. I’ll look at myself as objectively and as critically as I can through the “Principles of War” lens and try to reveal new knowledge of myself and my martial arts – and have some fun in the process.

Link to the Martial Arts Training Report: The Principles of War

No comments:

Post a Comment